Each year the firm supports a nominated charity. This year our chosen charity is Home-Start Birmingham, which is a local charity dedicated to assist families in Birmingham with essential support. More information on Home-Start Birmingham can be found here: Home-Start Birmingham.
Our people are committed to giving their time, energy and skills to helping those in the community. We also want to make sure that our impact on the environment is positive, and makes a difference to the well-being of our many stakeholders, including clients, staff and the wider community in general.
The firm is committed towards implementing and managing practical policies and processes which will reduce the impact of its operations on the environment.
To date, the firm has implemented the following:
- Waste Recycling Policy: All general waste is taken from our offices and sorted to ensure as much can be recycled as possible. Separately, all confidential waste is shredded offsite and recycled. All electronic equipment is collected by contractors, dismantled and disposed of in accordance with UK WEE regulations with as many parts recycled for re-use as possible.
- Drinking Water: Drinking water is provided to staff by means of a filtration system from the mains water supply. This prevents the need to supply mineral water bottles and reduces waste. Similarly, filtered water is bottled on site for use in meetings. The bottles are re-used rather than replaced. Drinking glasses are provided rather than disposable plastic cups to reduce waste.
- Upgraded Lifts: Our building's lift controls have been replaced with state of the art controls. One of many benefits is a reduction in energy use of 40%.
- Choice of supplier and contractor: As well as our own direct impact on the environment, the firm is conscious that its choice of supplier or contractor will also have an impact. With this in mind, the firm now includes either the achievement or the working towards of ISO 14001 (Environmental) accreditation within its tendering criteria.
- Upgraded Printers and Copiers: The firm is committed to reducing its printing and copying. To this end, all printers and copiers have been replaced by multi functional devices increasing the firms ability to operate a “less paper” Document Management System. Printer and copier use is regularly reviewed and operational working practices are regularly reviewed with the aim of significantly reducing the need to print or copy. All devices use less power than their predecessors and are set to save power when not in use. All toner cartridges are sent for recycling.
- IT strategy: The firm is committed towards the implementation of IT systems and processes that reduce environmental impact. Significant investment continues to be made in Document Management systems and processes. The firms central comms room has reduced its air conditioning requirement by 50%. Software has also been introduced allowing the firm to regularly review its energy use.
- Lighting: Wherever practicable, the firm has introduced PIR lighting to reduce the length of time lights are on when not required. Where not so practicable, processes are in place to ensure that areas are checked regularly and all staff are encourage by means of posters and the Intranet to turn off lights when they are not in the office.
- The firm is an equal opportunities employer and treats people equally regardless of their racial group, colour, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, gender, sexual orientation, disability or marital status.
- The firm has policies on part-time and flexible working arrangements which support our people with family commitments and encourage diversity, learning and development.
- Our ‘Outstanding Client Service Awards’ were created to recognise and reward all staff who go beyond the call of duty to serve clients. This is integral to the firm’s value of offering Great Client Service.
Good Governance & Ethics
- Our terms of business set out clear responsibilities in relation to client confidentiality, conflicts of interest, fees and client care.
- We have devised detailed Quality Service Standards to improve client care, from the moment client instructions are accepted to when the matter is completed.
- The firm has an anti-money laundering policy.
- The firm’s values (including Integrity & Professionalism) reinforce our approach to good governance and ethics in everything we do.