Franchising offers valuable financial, risk-spreading, operational and administrative advantages for businesses. However, care must be taken from the outset to protect your interests and those of your business.
Our talented team of commercial solicitors includes seasoned experts in the field of franchise law. Whether you are a franchisor or a franchisee, we can help protect your business interests by giving solid legal advice at a reasonable cost.
Franchise Law Services
Franchisor: The business that sells the right to use its name and trademarks is most likely an established company that has a valued reputation. It will therefore require a watertight legal agreement to protect its business interests.
- Provide legal advice on becoming a franchisor.
- Draft an ethical franchise agreement that sets out all rights and duties pertaining to both parties. We will also help draft and implement development agreements, umbrella agreements and sub-franchise agreements and any other documentation involved in the franchising process.
- Become involved in a contentious capacity, should disputes arise, and help negotiate an exit strategy if necessary.
Franchisee: The business or individual should contact an experienced solicitor at the outset when considering whether or not to buy a franchise. You will be allowed to use the franchisor’s name and trademarks for a given period of time, but you should be well aware of any potential risks before you enter into a written agreement.
- Provide legal advice on becoming a franchisee.
- Vet the franchise arrangement and any other agreements to ensure they are fair, and inform you of your rights, duties and restrictions as set out within them. This also involves reporting on anything unusual that may be a cause for concern.
- Help you withdraw from the agreement, should the relationship fail, and deal with any other difficulties that may arise.
How We Work
We’re on hand to refer you to one of our specialists in franchising legal advice.
Many of our commercial lawyers are drawn from the top 50 law firms in the UK, and others are from large commercial enterprises (including FTSE-registered companies). We therefore come with a wealth of knowledge and experience in our respective fields.
Talk to us about our reasonable pricing structure and the benefits of having our franchise lawyer work with you.