Criminal Defence Solicitors
Corporate governance within businesses has been under the spotlight for the last 10-15 years following the high profile collapse of a number of large corporations during the early 00’s and the 2008 financial crisis. As a result of the perceived lapse of oversight, the powers of a number of regulatory bodies have been strengthened and laws introduced to implement greater responsibility for good management of companies. Some of the major regulators are:
- Local Authorities – Trading Standards, Environmental Health;
- Health and Safety Executive – breaches of Health and Safety at Work Act;
- Fire and Rescue Authorities – breaches of the Fire Safety Order;
- Serious Fraud Office – Fraud and corruption;
- Information Commissioner – breaches of the Data Protection Act;
- Environment Agency – offences affecting the environment.
- Competition and Markets Authority/HMRC
Our regulatory defence lawyers provide practical legal advice to assist businesses, directors, and employees to avoid falling foul of an ever changing regulatory system. In the event of conviction, businesses can find themselves facing unlimited fines, negative press, cost orders, as well as the intangible costs associated with the loss of reputation. Regulatory crime is unlike “ordinary” crime and as such requires a different approach. Individuals can face imprisonment and Directors of Companies can find themselves personally liable for wrongful actions. Should the worst happen and you find yourself, or your company, under investigation by a Regulator, it’s vital to get legal advice and representation at the first opportunity. We can provide regulatory legal solicitors who can help you make an objective assessment of the situation and the options available for action.
How Our Regulatory Defence Lawyers & Legal Solicitors Can Assist:
- Drafting policies on regulatory matters;
- Advice as to compliance e.g. health and safety, money laundering, bribery, data protection;
- Representation at inquests;
- Appeals against abatement, improvement, prohibition notices etc;
- Defence of prosecutions;
- Attending investigatory interviews or interviews under caution;
- Liaison with regulators;
- Provide written submissions on regulatory decisions;
- Challenge regulator notices;
- Provide a comprehensive defence service through regulatory prosecution;
- Responding to regulator complaints and enquiries.
If you would like further information please contact us on 0121 562 1704 or click the link below to contact us.
Ashleigh Harold is an award winning specialist regulatory and criminal defence lawyer with extensive experience handling interventions.